Tuesday, October 2, 2012

The Great White Chili/Soup and Someone's Birthday...

Klanci (my sister-in-law) made this chili/soup for us last year while we were in Tulsa (maybe for Thanksgiving?). I say chili/soup because I'm not quite sure which category it falls into and keep forgetting to ask her. Ever since it has been a go-to fall/winter meal for Dac and I (that and my mom's beef stew which I will share at some point). It's easy and delicious and one of those feel-good foods. We made it last night for Monday night football, and it hit the spot once again.



It tastes very tortilla soup-y, but more hearty. Would be great with tortilla strips in it, but we did corn bread which I can't ever pass up with any kind of chili-related food.

White Bean Chicken Chili/Soup:
2 lbs. chicken breast - cooked and diced (or shredded)
2 cans white great northern beans
1 tbsp. olive oil
2 med. onions
2 cloves minced garlic
4 4-oz. cans mild green chiles (we just use 2 since I'm a wimp, pretty spicy otherwise)
2 tsp. ground cumin
1.5 tsp. oregano
1/4 tsp. cayene pepper
1/2 tsp. salt
6 cups chicken broth
3 cups monterey jack cheese
Salsa and sour cream (to serve with it)

Directions:
Heat oil in a medium pot.
Cook onion for 15 minutes
Add garlic, chiles, spices and cook for 2 minutes
Add beans and chicken broth. Cook to boil.
Add cooked chicken and simmer for 1 hour.
Add cheese just before done simmering to melt in.
Serve with sour cream and salsa.

Enjoy!

Also, I have to mention one very special birthday today - Bobby D/Diamond Bob/Dorkell Dickman - our dad! It's finally his turn to be double nickels! Hope your day is great Dad, and can't wait to celebrate with you in a few weeks! Love you!

Then (when Katie and I were little):


Now (proud Grandbob):










No comments:

Post a Comment