Thursday, December 22, 2011

Christmas Weekend Breakfast Idea

I came across this Blueberry French Toast "casserole" recipe on Pinterest, the source being this blog, and thought it would make a great Christmas morning treat! I tested it out this week - it was quick and easy, and you can make it the night before. It still requires an hour of baking time in the morning, but much better than having to deal with the prep AND the baking. I think I arranged my bread crumbs and layer of blueberries/cream cheese a little too neatly - because it didn't look as pretty as it did in the picture I found, which was this:


Mine ended up like this (Although I poured the blueberry syrup over the whole thing, so that's why mine is blueberry colored - the other blog's picture was pre-sauce. It may work better to pour the sauce over individual slices like they did. Once it cools the sauce does thicken though and becomes a sort of glaze.):


So like I said, not nearly as pretty... but still delicious. I would bake it longer next time. I ended up baking it 10 minutes more than it says, and it was still not quite golden brown like the recipe suggests.


OVERNIGHT BLUEBERRY FRENCH TOAST

French Toast:
12 slices bread, cut into cubes (French or Texas toast. I used Texas Toast.)
1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, cut in cubes
1 cup blueberries (fresh or frozen)
12 large eggs
1/3 cup maple syrup
2 cups milk (I use 1 cup milk and 1 cup cream)
Syrup:
1 cup sugar
1 cup water
2 Tablespoons cornstarch
1 cup blueberries (fresh or frozen)
1 Tablespoon butter


Steps:
1.  Arrange 1/2 of the bread cubes in a greased 9 x 13 pan.
2. Sprinkle cream cheese cubes and blueberries evenly over the bread cubes.
3. Top with remaining bread cubes.


4. Mix together eggs, milk, and syrup.
5. Pour over bread cubes and cover pan with foil. Let chill in refrigerator overnight.


6. Bake covered with foil at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. Remove the foil and bake for another 30 minutes or until fluffy and golden. Top with sauce. Serves 8.
Sauce: Cook water, sugar, and cornstarch until thickened. Stir in blueberries and simmer for 10 minutes. Add butter and stir until melted. Serve over the french toast.


Enjoy it... and all of the other holiday treats you may be consuming!

1 comment:

  1. oh, i pinned this one too. definitely on my list to bake for holiday. have a good one!

    ReplyDelete