Sunday, January 1, 2012

Lucky Sauerkraut

Happy 2012!

It has always been a tradition/superstition in my family to eat sauerkraut (with pork chops) on New Year's Day - to bring good luck for the year. When I was younger I hated sauerkraut with a passion, so my mom would tell me I only had to take one bite of it. Now I love it, and how it flavors the pork chops!
Dac and I just consumed our New Year's Day dinner! He made the mashed potatoes, and I followed my mom's direction to bake the pork chops, with the sauerkraut (plus juice) and seasoned with pepper, at 300 for an hour and a half to two hours. I covered it with foil until the last 20 minutes or so (uncovered so it would get a little brown).

Voila!


We're all set for the year now, luck wise! Any New Year's food traditions you would like to share?

No comments:

Post a Comment