Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Just Perfect

Earlier this month, my friend Corin and I attended an event at the DC Room and Board where we met Deborah Needleman, former Editor-in-Chief of Domino Magazine and author of the new book "The Perfectly Imperfect Home."

On Amazon

This is my new favorite home decor/coffee table book (followed closely by the Domino Book of Decorating). In it, she offers great advice and realistic ways "normal" people can make their home a special, happy, and comfy place. My favorite aspect of the book is the beautiful illustrations by Virginia Johnson. I mentioned that to Deborah when we met her and she said she wanted to do illustrations instead of photographs because she wanted to convey ideas, not just provide sources for people to "copy." The paintings are based on photos of real rooms, but I like them so much better as illustrations.

Source

An excerpt from an interview with her on Martha Stewart's website:

In the article in our November issue, you talk about “jollifiers”–sentimental things that spread a little joy every time you see them. What are some examples of jollifiers in your home right now?
Now the easy fun bits! Animal figures are always super jolly. I’ve got a small leather cow my husband and I bought in Paris (so nice memories, too), cartoon figures drawn by son on the fridge, a collection of ceramic objects made by my husband in the 7th grade (a glazed doughnut that opens like box, a whale spouting water) on the bookshelf, a plaster cast of my daughter’s hand mixed in with nice objects on the coffee table. I could go on and on. I love having little talismans around that are meaningless to anyone but me.

Corin and I with Deborah - she was super nice!

"Make your home as comfortable and attractive as possible and then get on with living." - Albert Hadley (found in the book)

A display at Room and Board. I would love to set up bookshelves like this behind the couch in our living room.

I recommend this book as a great holiday gift for anyone who recently moved or is interested in home decor and happiness!

No comments:

Post a Comment